Tuesday, January 12, 2010

iPhone Model Viewer


So I first purchased my iPhone a couple of months ago after buying one for the wife is chasing the little one most of the day and it gives her some semblance of sanity in its ability to email, message and take vids and pictures.

After about two months of use, I don't understand my life before it. Needless to say I get over the copious amount of dropped calls (thanks AT and T) and data charges, provided I'm able to surf the net, check emails, text using voice recognition and find a good spot for diner using the urban spoon app.

Recently while perusing the seemingly endless array of apps available I ran across a 3D model viewer app called NaviCAD and of course I have downloaded it and yes you will love it and forever forget the .99 you paid for it like I did. I used some of the Google models available under the gigantic Google warehouse and it works for simple models great, more complex models seem to slow it down a little, but I'm viewing models on a phone!

Of course this instantly put me into "what if" mode. What if we were able to walk through models on site using our handhelds? What if a facility manager could pull out his blackberry and it locates him in a 3D building using GPS and he can scan an object with it and it will tell him everything he needs to know about it? Ah, the mind runs wild...
On a side note, my wife and I are designing and preparing to build a home here,which I have uploaded to Google warehouse and I can't wait to show her what the design looks like using this app.
Now if only there was an app to keep my daughter from climbing on everything....

2 comments:

Ian Keough said...

The "what ifs" can be dangerous. I had the same feeling, that you should be able to take BIM with you. So I wrote an iPhone app called goBIM, that works a lot better than NaviCAD for big models. You can check it out at http://www.go-bim.com.

drchuck said...

We’ve released NaviCAD for iPad for the launch of this game-changing device. You can get it directly from iTunes here. Note that it has the same functionality as the iPhone version except utilizing the bigger screen real estate–suggestions for added functionality to take advantage of the bigger screen are welcome at feedback@navicad.com.